Thursday, October 10, 2013

Faux Mercury Glass

I started the faux mercury glass project before we left for So Cal, but finished them up the other day.  At least I think they're finished.  I have not decided whether or not to paint the tops.

Yes, these are Yankee Candle jars, wax removed by setting the jars in a pot of hot water, cleaned with Goo Gone and alcohol.   There are tons of tutorials out there for how to make this faux mercury glass, I used this one.  Key ingredients are a mister with half water and half vinegar, and Krylon Looking Glass paint, found at the local Orchard Supply Hardware.

Also good to have a covered surface, gloves and a paper towel.

I'm not quite sure I'm getting the exact effect, as it's difficult to control the spray and the running of the droplets, but I think they look pretty cool.  Not sure yet what I am going to do with them.


Mercury Glass Jars photo IMG_5491_zps95eb6637.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment