I was going to wait until it was completely complete, but I am excited that at least Phase 1 of the blowing ball project is complete. And I don't want to wait another week to show it off.
On Day 1 I accomplished a swirl pattern at the top, from blue, red and yellow mirror and vitreous glass. On day 2 I added a circle of blue mirror glass, surrounded by silver Van Gogh tiles both square and cut into triangles, then added cut rectangles of red vitreous glass.
On day 3 I added variety and got quite random, with more silver Van Gogh glass, gold mirror glass, orange-red ceramic gems, gold ceramic glitter minis, butterscotch ceramic minis, and more light blue vitreous providing some separation.
Day 4 went back to the dark blue vitreous glass, and added some small light blue and pearly white ceramic tiles, then some green mirror glass.
It is a challenge working on a round surface. For one thing, you can't do too much at once, and the mortar must be thick so the pieces don't slide.
Typically, I missed a couple of days of progress photos. One reason is that when the tiling is finished for the day, the tiles are still pretty messily covered in mortar. Then when I return to clean them up, I forget to take a picture. Anyway, on day 7 the tiling was completed. It's pretty randomly abstract, although I attempted some design and color lines. It will certainly look different from all angles, and I hope reflect nicely with all the mirror glass.
Next step is to clean up the mortar thoroughly and then begin grouting. I am going to use the same gray grout I used on the great wall of china.