Wednesday, March 7, 2012

The Story of the Leap Day Card

The following is a post I wrote for the Oscraps blog on February 29, 2012.

Long before I knew what I would be writing about, I scheduled myself to write a post on ...

Leap Day

For you see, this is a very special day to me, for it is my daughter's birthday. It was 24 years ago today that a very special little lady came into my life, who continues to brighten it on a regular basis. Since her birthday only comes once every four years, and thank goodness she even had one in the year 2000 (to understand why, check out this cute and informative video), I wanted of course to do something special. And what is more special than something made by hand, and from the heart. I used a couple of special kits from the Oscraps store for my hybrid project
Anna Aspnes Project 366 Word Art 1.


And Anna Aspnes ArtPlay Palette Crazy Life:

 I started with an 11 x 8 1/2" canvas so I could print it locally, divided it in half, and put the Word Art and Paperie from the ArtPlay Palette onto the page. I added "So Special" using the fonts Jane Austen and 215000E and I clipped some wonderful recent sunset photos into the word art to give it vibrant color.


I printed on photo coverstock paper and folded it in half. Here is the front:

and the back:
  

Next I selected a scrapbooking paper to line the inside. I just rifled through my stash, coming up with this beautifully and perfectly colored orange and turquoise paper from Hambly Studios.

Once the two sheets were glued together, I used some Ranger Distress ink around the edges to give it a bit of an antique look, tied some turquoise and brown Martha Stewart twine along the creased edge, and tied some Tim Holtz Ideology charms to the twine.

Here is the completed front:

A close up (sorry for the slightly blurry image):

And most importantly, my heartfelt birthday wish on the inside:
 
This only took an hour or so and will be in her mail box on her special day.
Even if you don't know anyone celebrating a birthday on this special day, you might still want to scrap pictures from this extra day of the year.
Here are some additional kits that can be useful for your Leap Day Scrapping:
A Project 366 kit from Maya de Groot: 

And another one from Merkeley Designs:

Some wonderful Word Art from Ju Kneipp:

Everyday Life tags and Word Art from Cinzia Designs:
 
You might even take your "Leap Day" scrapping in a different direction, incorporating some fun "leaping" elements from kits like this one from Kitty Designs:

Or scrapping a literal interpretation of the word "Leap", such as in this lovely and lively page from the Oscraps gallery by tsbegley using the Paisley Princess kit from Jennifer Labre Designs.
 

Happy Leap Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment