Saturday, March 10, 2012

Hagrid's Hut

I started this layout on the Oscraps blog the other day, talking about how colorizing a photo was perfect for this month's challenge.

Here is the color palette, somewhat neutral with white, dark gray, skin-tone beige and mustard yellows, and the challenge was to use this palette with a touch of an accent color, like the blue or pink or green shown.

Here is a photo of Hagrid's Hut at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. The hut itself has wonderful gray/neutral tones, but the surrounding landscape on a bright sunny day is probably too bright to use this photo for the color challenge.
 

But I simply add a color adjustment layer and check the Colorize box, and I get this: 

Now to add back in a little of the accent color from the pumpkin, I add a layer mask, and with a soft-edged round eraser, I erase the area of the pumpkin.

Now I am ready to take on the March Color Challenge.  

Several layered papers from Maya de Groot's Terra Toni and Anna Aspnes ArtPlay Palette Saffron Villa gave me the right colors in the background.  Note I grabbed a little slice of the color palette and used it to edge the page on the upper left and lower right.  

Instead of using the orange, I decided to use the accent color blue from the full-color photo of the front of the hut, leaving the blue sky in place, then emphasizing that color with some paint splats  and chevrons (Maya de Groot Aero Toni) a button (Anna Aspnes ArtPlay Palette Find My Way 2) and the most perfect string (Aero Toni).

Hagrids Hut

No comments:

Post a Comment