Thursday, February 16, 2012

Painted Trees of Kauai

Back to Kauai, oh how I wish I was, but therein is one of the beauties of scrapping, being able to revisit places and memories.  This memory is about trees.

What came first here, the pictures or the kit?  Well, it is a little of both.

We have a new designer at Oscraps, Dido Designs.  It's been an exciting couple of days as we sponsored a "Guess Who" contest, then announced our new designer, then announced our contest winner.  It's has been great fun transforming the Oscraps blog into a newly vital entity.

But I digress.

Yes, trees...

There are these painted trees, right along the main road into Princeville on the edge of the golf course.  By "painted" I mean painted by Mother Nature.  They are eucalyptus trees whose bark peals to reveal beautiful shades of green, orange, yellow, even burgundy.

Upon googling them I discovered them to be the Rainbow Eucalyptus (Eucalyptus deglupta) or Mindanao Gum tree,  the only species of Eucalyptus tree found in the northern hemisphere (I am not sure what this means, since the San Francisco Bay Area is loaded with eucalyptus trees).

Interestingly enough, all the online references talk about them being in various arboretums and on the Road to Hana on Maui, but no one seems to know about my trees.

But here is a page with a little story about my trees, scrapped with the lovely Little Birdie Told Me kit from Dido Designs.  I picked the dark gold background paper from the kit, then set most every other element on a blending mode to get all the lovely oranges, browns, earthiness.

Painted Trees OLB

Here is a preview for the Little Birdie Told Me kit.

No comments:

Post a Comment