Saturday, December 10, 2011

Bokeh Time

There was a time when I did not know what bokeh was, and that time was not long ago!

Now, it is an integral part of the holidays!  No, not food...anyone that knows me knows that food is just not that interesting to me, but lights, and color...now we're talking!

From our friend Wikipedia:
In photography, bokeh is the blur, or the aesthetic quality of the blur, in out-of-focus areas of an image, or "the way the lens renders out-of-focus points of light." Differences in lens aberrations and aperture shape cause some lens designs to blur the image in a way that is pleasing to the eye, while others produce blurring that is unpleasant or distracting—"good" and "bad" bokeh, respectively.Bokeh occurs for parts of the scene that lie outside the depth of field. Photographers sometimes deliberately use a shallow focus technique to create images with prominent out-of-focus regions.

Mr. AC helped me take these photos, as I do not often (ever?) take the digital SLR off automatic mode.

This first shot of our Christmas tree was taken with a higher f stop (3.6), and so we got the hexagonal shape of the aperture in the bokeh, which I happen to think looks uber-cool.

bokeh hex

Then I lowered the f stop )3.2) for this next shot, and got bokeh circles! bokeh round 

I'm excited to scrap with my bokeh, but it will have to wait for another day, for after this day of cleaning, crafts, golf and a trip to San Francisco to deliver a Christmas present to Ms AC, this artsy-craftsy gal is bokehed-out.

No comments:

Post a Comment