Thursday, November 17, 2011

The Scrapbook of Frankie Pratt

A couple of weeks ago, I saw something, somewhere on the web, about The Scrapbook of Frankie Pratt.  I wasn't sure what it was all about, but I was intrigued.

The site Get It Scrapped sponsored a webinar with the author of The Scrapbook of Frankie Pratt, Caroline Preston.  Caroline has one of those voices that you want to read you a bedtime story.  I was rapt, listening to her adventure and process in putting together this book.

As soon as the webinar was over (I listened patiently, while doing nothing else, for over an hour!) I purchased the book.  Caroline showed many pages during the webinar, and I thought she was giving away the whole deal.  When a very thick package arrived in my mail box this week, I wondered what it was...a book, but what book did I order that would be this thick?


Scrapbook of Frankie Pratt

Then I opened it and began to marvel anew at this book. I have no affiliation, I just happened upon something that I think is so incredibly cool and creative and innovative and unique.  It is probably best categorized in the genre of graphic novel, but done in the style of a vintage scrapbook.

But this was not done digitally, it was done by pasting real snippets of vintage ephemera onto pages that were then photographed and made into the book.  I can hardly imagine the amount of work, and applaud this creative effort.

I am not done reading it yet, but it is hard to put down.  I invite anyone similar intrigued to go to Caroline's site and check out her info on how she created the book.  Oh and according to the author, much of the ephemera was purchased on eBay.

No comments:

Post a Comment