Monday, August 15, 2011

Rome was not Scrapped in a Day

Rome was not scrapped in a day, nor a week, nor even a month, for here it is mid-August, about 6 weeks after our return, and finally, I have scrapped Rome! 

Who knows how long it will take to finish the rest of the trip, but I at least feel like I have a good handle on Rome, where we spent the longest time. 

I had to make a lot of choices. I had already chosen and scrapped the 5 photos of the day from when we were in Rome. And I had already uploaded a set of pictures that I thought would most interest family and friends. But I wanted to go deeper, capture more details, convey more of what was special, why it was special, and my as-close-as-possible to real-time observations. 

I started by going through my picture folders, which are organized by date. (Note to self: must remember to change the date on the digital camera when traveling 9 time zones away!). I copied the pictures I wanted into desktop folders. It was just too hard to look at hundreds of photos at a time and try to decide how to scrap them. Much easier to work with 5-10 photos at a time. 

Then there was the question of design and templates for the pages. I decided to stick with a few that I love. Since I was working with products from Anna Aspnes' Project 2011, I used a lot of those templates as starting points. Jen Maddocks Frame Templates are also some of my favorite masks and frames, so they figure prominently in the pages. For the Trevi Fountain pages, I started with my POTD layout, which uses Maya de Groot's Double Dippers templates.

The pictures are the dominate feature in many of the layouts, so not much was required in the way of paper backgrounds nor embellishments. But I did use a few choice papers from Far Far Hill to give a vintage, old world feeling, which perfectly picked up the earth-tone colors that are Rome.  Anna Aspnes ArtPlay Palettes (Barren Sunrise, Find My Way, Saffron Villa) and Travel Word Art and Jen Maddocks Venerable kits also provided elements and embellishments.

One more little trick that was extremely helpful.  When I got to the subject of St. Peter's Basilica, there were 34 pictures that were the minimum.  It's an impressive and photogenic place!  I uploaded these 34 pictures to a Shutterfly album then generated a Simple Path book.  I am always impressed with how Shutterfly Simple Path groups and arranges photos, so I used this as a guide for how to group and arrange my 34 photos, although I did it in 8 pages instead of 20.

So Rome has now been scrapped in 29 pages.  This slideshow doesn't seem to want to play in order, which is a bit frustrating to me because the order of the pages is very important.  The next decision will be when and how to print these pages.  I can't wait to see them in print!

No comments:

Post a Comment