Friday, August 19, 2011

August 365 - 19. My Favorite Dessert

I'm not a big dessert eater.  Not that I don't like dessert.  My favorite sweet, my sweet weakness...cookies.  Oreos, Pepperidge Farm cookies like Chocolate Chunk, Milanos, Mint Milanos, iced oatmeal, Nilla Wafers, Gingersnaps, and the ultimate cookie treat, macarons.  But, with the reality that cookies bring, I actually don't eat them very much.

Switch the scene to Italy, and it seems dessert is a necessity, and it is usually . .  GELATO!  
The first time we went to Italy, Megan and Tod got gelato nearly every night, and I declined.  I was still in my "I really can't eat anything additional disciplined days".  The next time, I thought I would give it a try.  I had read that it is actually lower in fat than frozen yogurt.  Well, that first try was a slippery slope, at the bottom of which is me, on our 3rd or 4th trip to Italy, having gelato every night.  Some nights, after having lunched sumptuously, I actually had gelato for dinner.

And so when we returned to San Jose at the end of our June trip, we missed gelato.  A little research and we found there is a gelato joint at Oakridge in San Jose, called La Crema d'Italia.

La Crema d'Italia 
And it's not bad. If nothing else, they do the splendid job of displaying their gelato in that colorful, hard-to-resist Italian-style, complete with flavor-indicating props. Gelato in San Jose

No comments:

Post a Comment