Friday, July 29, 2011

Reviving the Double Wedding Ring

My first and longest lasting fabric love ... 30's prints, be they original or reproduction.  These pastel novelties are just so happy, and I love having them in my house.

Recently while searching for fabrics for the Envelope Quilt, I came across this quilt in progress, otherwise known as a UFO or unfinished object.
It's a Double Wedding Ring, one of the most famous of 30's quilt patterns, made with an interfacing product from QuiltSmart to bypass the piecing of the arcs.

DWR

Charmed by the pretty blocks, I pulled pieces out of the carefully organized bag. I even found a tiny scrap of paper, dated Tuesday, November 28, 2000, with information on how I had modified the pattern.
DWR Elements

I recall deciding that I liked the product but wanting bigger blocks, I had split the interfacing arcs, separating them carefully by 5/8" before proceeding to sew, clip, turn and press to stick them to the background fabric.

DWR Arcs

Just spending a little time each day I have been able to put two more blocks together.
DWR Block in Progress DWR Block

I don't know that I will finish this quilt anytime soon, but I am smitten with it right now.  My next objective will be to find a yellow solid that matches the corners of the yellow blocks, as there was none of that in the bag.  Is that why I stopped, I wonder??

1 comment:

  1. Hurrah....glad to see that you are back to quilting! I am working on an easy project...big piecing...goes by so quickly! Jo Anne

    ReplyDelete