Friday, July 15, 2011

June in Montreux

How I am enjoying scrapping June!  It's funny, I had a bit of a hard time getting started, not sure what approach to take.  Having a "formula", in the form of photos of the day, has been so helpful, grouping them by the areas we visited.

So next up is Montreux.  Tod and I had passed through Montreux a few years ago on the way to Lauterbrunnen, and thought it might stand a closer look.  It is a pretty little place, known as the Swiss Riviera, and I will admit the lakefront is what makes Montreux special.  The miles long paved walk along the lake from one end of town all the way to the Chateau Chillon was a delight, lined with lovely flowers and little fences with musical notes on them, indicating the significance of music to this town that hosts an annual jazz festival.
From Montreux it was an easy and lovely boat ride to Lausanne, passing miles of beautiful hillside vineyards, Les Lavaux, along the way.  And from Montreux we rode the special Chocolate Train to Gruyere, an impossible cute Swiss town where they make the famous cheese.
And finally, completing this 4-photo spread, is my photo of the day from Chamonix, another repeat, but ready with new things to discover, like the wonderful L'Oustelet hotel where we stayed, and macarons!

June Montreux

I used Anna Aspnes Artsy Layered Template No 19, turned on it's side. The two large photo blending masks were perfect to feature the Montreux and Lausanne lakeside photos. Two smaller photo slots were elongated to better suit my portrait photos of the macarons and Tod sitting happily on the Chocolate Train. Papers and elements are from Anna Aspnes ArtPlay Palettes Seafoam, Special One, Find My Way and Sunshine Bouquet, with the stitching from Something Springy.

Several layouts ago I discovered a cool way to title these layouts.  The font used is Jefferson, and I wanted it in black, but it's hard to drop shadow black and keep it from looking muddy.  So I used the trick learned in my Jessica Sprague classes of duplicating the title, rasterizing it, filling it with gray, then offsetting it (might also be good to add a Gaussian blur, but I did not in this case).  Then when I added a drop shadow to the duplicate layer, something wonderful happened and I got this awesome looking 3D font!  The font used for the journaling and numbers is Forte.  I like the strong blackness it adds to the pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment