Friday, May 27, 2011

Sensible Chic Pillow Craftiness

A couple of weeks ago we paid a visit to the San Francisco Pottery Barn flagship store in the Castro.  So many fun and interesting things to look at, but I latched on to this pillow.  I still can't explain it, but I love this pillow.
Pottery Barn Fish Pillow

It's not that the pillow was all that expensive,I think only $35, but it really wouldn't work in my house. There is nothing fishy in my house. Still, this pillow kept calling out to me.

So I decided to make my own 'sensible chic' version. Everything I needed was right in my crafty sewing room. The PB pillow appeared to be on linen, so I found a vintage off-white feedsack that was a close approximation to the color and texture.
I programmed up the No. 3, which I have no idea what that signifies, but I like it, and embroidered that in blue thread.
What to say? Poulet de Mer makes no sense, but how about Poulet Francais? Again, just punched it up on my embroidery machine and stitched it out.
I struggled with what to do with the rooster, my substitute for the fish, and from my family room drapery fabric. I knew I wanted to rough cut it. Megan suggested a serrated-like cut based on the subtle grid in the background of the fabric. I lightly fused this in place, top stitched with some blue embroidery floss, and used Fray Check around all the edges.
It needed something to tie it to the other pillows, so I used the last of the Christopher Lowell trim that is on the other pillows (bought this for $1/yard at Jo Ann's). There was only enough for 2 sides, but I like it that way. I top-stitched it in place which worked out much better than trying to sew it from the reverse side.
The final edge I tucked and hand-stitched in place. I used an existing pillow from the family room couch.

And here is my sensible chic version. (I should have lined it....oh well.)

Poulet Francais Pillow

Another crafty project completed!
Pottery Barn Fish Pillow Poulet Francais Pillow

No comments:

Post a Comment