Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Full Circles

Knitted Red Hat

What goes around comes around, in more ways than one, literally and figuratively.

When I was about 5 years old, my Aunt Jay taught me how to knit and crochet. It was one of those life-crafting skills that I would return to over and over.

Back in the late 80's, when I and my friends were having our like-aged children together, I did a lot of knitting. Baby blankets, sweaters, booties, hats.

I would sometimes go into the office on a Saturday to do some testing, and since we were in California and working on remote mainframe servers (this was the 80's!) in Gaithersburg, Md, I would press enter on a page and wait for the software to complete it's calcutations and return the results. And wait...and wait...and wait. And so, while waiting, I would knit. There was no Windows in those days, no parallel processing, it was single string, your computer is tied up until it is done. And so I waited, and knit.

And so, without going into too many details, let me suffice it to say, what goes around comes around.  I still knit from time to time, I now know how to knit in circles and even own a pair of  circular metal turbo needles, and sometimes, there is time in between the enter keys to take a stitch or two. 

Pattern is the Fogbuster Beanie by Toque Du Jour.

No comments:

Post a Comment