Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Railroaded...An Adventure

I get nervous about traveling in unknown situations...not afraid, just anxious, that I will not find everything I need to find and get where I need to be when I need to be there. I still shudder when I think of how near I came to missing my flight to Paris last spring because I forgot to reset the watch that I ordinarily never wear.

And so I was quite pleased with myself to make it "downtown", find the train station, find the parking lot, find a place to park, buy my ticket, find the platform (OK, I verified it with the nice Caltrain lady who was standing on the platform), and board a train for San Francisco from San Jose.

I've done this a million times from Mountain View, but never before from San Jose. Heck, what does Diridon even mean? Is it a person, place, thing?

The most surprising element in this mini-adventure was the train station. Lawrence, Mountain View, Santa Clara, even San Francisco are mostly platforms, pretty uninteresting.

San Jose has a real, and beautiful, train station!

San Jose Cal Train Station

San Jose Cal Train Station

Through a little research on that source of all facts, Wikipedia, I have now learned that Diridon is a person, the station which looks brand new was restored in 1994 but dates back to 1935, constructed in the Italian Renaissance Revival style, and was featured in an Alfred Hitchcock movie.

I learn so much through my adventures :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment