Friday, December 11, 2009

ABC Book - M for Maman



Perhaps the most important page in the book to me, featuring one of the loveliest images, and one that is very meaningful to me.
Sewing has been such a big part of my life, and although I don't have memories of my mother teaching me to sew on her treadle machine, I do have memories of the machine, which she still owns, and which still works!
Her most amazing accomplishment on this machine was making tiny clothes for my Barbie dolls. I don't know how she did it.



I have unfortunately also lost any memories of my grandmother sewing. She must have, but by the time I lived with her, her eyesight was not very good, so while there is some vague recollection of needlework, any specifics are lost.
But I can attest to at least three generations of sewing tradition in my family, with the latest doing things like this.





No comments:

Post a Comment