Thursday, September 10, 2009

Welcome Home Art

I'd forgotten that I had actually completed some art just before I left for Italy. It was nice to come home and find some finished pieces on my desk.

"W" for "welcome home"?? Actually, this is the continuation of my French alphabet series.



Try as I might, I could not come up with a good French word for the letter "W", so I took some artistic liberties, creating a thread-painted "W" with the Eiffel Tower as part of the letter.

The background is a Paris map fabric, onto which I stamped an Eiffel Tower with black pigma ink, then over that I thread-painted a "W" with gold thread.

Paper elements - the clockface "W", the word "wonderful" and "Journey" were stitched in place with the same thread.

A metal gold-painted butterfly sits atop the image, embellished with an orange crystal. Additional crystals embellish the clockface and metal fleur-de-lis.

Gold thread, overpainted with gold paint, finish the sides.

There is a wonderful neutrality in the whole composition, with white, beige, black, gold and metallic colors, complemented with the light-colored crystals.

On the back is a sheer fleur-de-lis vellum which enables you to see the back of the quilted "W".



1 comment:

  1. It's beautiful Diane, and I am so glad you DID have a wonderful trip, and a wonderful welcome home!

    ReplyDelete