Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Travel Trivia 17 - Virtual Reality

I am traveling from August 23rd to September 10th. Detailed journals of my travels and tons of pictures are on my Shutterfly site.

But I thought it would be fun (albeit difficult) to pick one picture per day that represents something special or different or unexpected, and that explains how and why I travel.

Day 17 Trivia - Virtual Reality
My blogging friend Deb participates in a monthly "Virtual Paintout", where the participants choose a location from a selected city via Google Maps, and they paint or otherwise render what they see in the Google picture.
Recently, Deb did several beautiful paintings of a lovely doorway in Florence (shown here with her permission).




What the heck, I thought, let's see if we can find that location. Now, Florence is a pretty big city, so imagine my surprise when I punched the location into the GPS on my Blackberry (ok, I am a bit of a geek), asked for walking directions, and found that it was only 8 minutes away from our hotel!

How amazing is this...the very doorway from the virtual paintout!


And here I am, standing in front of it, feeling quite smug :-)



2 comments:

  1. This is just TOO crazy! I forwarded this story to the folks who bought 3 of the 4 paintings I did of that gate! And, I told a few more about it because I just think it is so incredible - I meet a friend in cyberspace, randomly choose a gate to paint on a virtual map, and there you are standing in front of it, shooting it to me on your blackberry! None of this could have happened a decade ago. When I was working in the corporate world then we had BAG phones - 5 lb. phones in bags that had the receiver/transmitter unit that allowed us to drive and talk/work while commuting to plant sites. Thanks so much for finding this location Diane!

    ReplyDelete