Thursday, April 16, 2009

Surfing Samurais

Yes, that's right, Surfing Samurais.
And loyalty.

So here it is, what, 2 years since I have made a quilt? Seems hard to believe. But I don't miss it, as so many other things have taken up residence in my creative time. But I will still occasionally get a call from someone, asking me to quilt for them. The answer each time has been a very definite "no". Not easy to say "no", but I know I have to "no".

Until the call from Beth. Two things changed my mind. One, the quilt she wanted quilted is a Dancing Diagonals, my first original design. And two, it was Beth that introduced me to her company Almaden Press, enabling me to successfully self-publish my quilt patterns and have them look wonderful.

Or is it just because I like Beth? No, I like other people I have said "no" to. I think it's a sense of loyalty. Do something for those who have done something for you, and perhaps the circle will continue.

So here is the "before" shot of Surfing Samurais.



Strange name for such an elegant quilt? Not when you zoom in!



Stay tuned as I complete this quilt for Beth. How long will it take me??

Well, at least it has moved from the living room coffee table, where it was burying the still-in-the-bag, still-shrinkwrapped Andy Warhol catalog and postcard, to the board in my studio, a daily reminder that progress is to be made!

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely quilt! I wish I had the patience to do anything with textiles. You make it look easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diane, I am passing a blog award on to you. Stop by my blog and pick it up when you get a chance!

    ReplyDelete