Thursday, April 23, 2009

Something to Crow About

Finally, I finished my Steampunk Raven Artist Trading Card with the Hambly overlay background!
The picture sort of says it all...



Only, there is so much that went into this card, I have to talk about it.

The background is a beautiful gold overlay from Hambly Screen Prints, laid over a blue tissue paper, mounted on timtex interfacing, so I had a thick cushion for the steampunk pieces.

I backed this with a digital tape measure collage, then sewed up the sides with a zig zag stitch and gold variegated polyester thread. The thread went through all the layers beautifully!

The gladiator bird was from an Anthropologie catalog. He is so awesome, with his steampunk breast and feet and tape measure wings! The steampunk parts are real watch parts which are punched into the interfacing (Ido hope they stay put!).

I digitally created tiny tape measures, cut them out and intertwined them with gold fibers for the gilded nest.

"Something to Crow About" was done in Old English Text on yellow paper, contrasting nicely with the blue background.

I added gold acrylic paint for highlighting, and a gold crystal eye.

This piece took far too long to make!
I need to do some quickies, hopefully with more Hambly products.

4 comments:

  1. I REALLY like this one Diane!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANK YOU! I was a little unsure of this piece all along, so nice to have some affirmation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that gold overlay looks great with the ATC! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YES, you do need to get back to your ATC's- come swap with us at SWAPBOT.com :)

    ReplyDelete