Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Garden & Steampunk Art in Progress

It's very hard for me to prune the roses every year, although it has gotten a little easier over the years. I know it's the right thing to do, and I know my roses will be better and stronger for it, but it does mean that my first roses are later than those in the neighborhood who do not prune their roses, making me green with garden envy.

Here it is mid-April, and finally the first rose has appeared, on the little mini in the center bed.



The standards are fully budded so we hope to see them soon (probably while we are away in San Diego...isn't that how it always happens?)



I am also excited that a little bird seems to have adopted the birdhouse in the yard.
I'll have to sit out there quietly and try to get a picture of her.


I'm not sure that has anything to do with this ACEO in progress, although inspiration does work in subliminal ways.
I found this bird in an Anthropologie catalog a few weeks ago, and I think he's awesome! A steampunk, tape-measure-feathered, key-toting gladiator bird! I would love to own this useless treasure! Mais, c'est trop chère pour moi! And so, I thought he would make a good subject for an ACEO.



I'm using a piece of gold overlay from Hambly that I bought this weekend at Memories Live On, over some royal blue tissue paper. This beautiful overlay is harder to use than I thought it would be, since the density of the pattern pretty much covers the underpaper. So I needed a very strong color.

I've gathered some bits - watch gears to make him steampunk, some gold cord to make him a regal nest...and I must find some bits of tape measure. Can I actually cut up one of my yellow tape measures?? Doubtful. I may need to go buy a new one and distress it.

Oh and thanks, Andi, for the tip on linking in a new window :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment