Wednesday, January 7, 2009

My First Mosaic Plate Cut

I don't remember the first time I ever cut a piece of fabric. I have this vague recollection of having taken a sewing class when I was a young teen...it might have been then. Or it might have been earlier. My mom would sew these teeny tiny Barbie clothes on a Singer treadle sewing machine, and I remember that, but don't really remember fabric or scissors.

But, my first cut of a plate for mosaics will live in bloginfamy!

It's a bit of a cheater, because it was only a quarter plate to begin with, but that gave me the confidence to try. I bought this piece of otherwise junk at the DeAnza flea market on Saturday, from a rather cranky lady who really wanted to sell me the whole bag of broken glass, but I did buy another plate, and only wanted this chip. She reluctantly agreed (geez!) and so I brought home my treasure.

A visit to Nancy's Manic for Mosaics revealed a "how-to" article on cutting plates...how perfect! So I studiously read and gave it a try. The first cut took off a piece of rim with part of the footer attached, which I later cut off. Not the best start. But the next cut, along the footer, separated the focal and the rim in one amazing step! I was then able to very neatly cut the rim into 5 more pieces. It was a snap!



Next hurdle will be to see what I can do with a full plate!

2 comments:

  1. How cool! Very fun. You have so many talents I would like to explore. I joined the ATC/ACEO trading card group on ebay. I'm just "lurking" right now and checking things out. Take care. Jenna Louise

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like you think would have a hard time cutting into a plate. But it does look like fun and can't wait to see what you do next.

    ReplyDelete