Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Jay Playing Scrabble

Remember, I said I was not going to start collecting ACEOs! While interesting, they are not addicting to me, I have no room for them, despite their tiny size, and I don't need to buy art, because I can make art.

But, once again, I have found a reason for an exception :-)

This tiny painting grabbed my heart from the first moment I saw it. As is usually the case when that happens, it's the story evoked by the imagery, more than the imagery itself.



Let me start with giving credit to the very talented Heather Whitehouse whose work this is. Heather was awarded the Year's Best ACEO Artist's Choice and Collector's Choice awards for her "Jay Playing Scrabble" ACEO. And that is actually closer to the end of the story.

A couple of months ago, Tod, Megan, Jay and I were up at Kirkwood. Megan and I love to play scrabble there, and Jay asked if he could "get in on the next game". Why of course. I started out the game with a particularly good word, 7 letters so I got the 50 bonus points, and I may have even formed a 2nd little word. I felt secure for a win. Well, to make a long story short, Jay proceeded to beat the pants off us, forming 2 or 3 words with every turn. I think his score was double either of ours. And so Jay's scrabble-playing ability will live in infamy!

Along comes the Year's Best ACEO Awards. While reviewing the artwork, I come across this "Jay Playing Scrabble", but I don't know whose painting it is! I tried various searches to see if it had recently sold or to try recognize similar work, but to no avail. I thought about asking who the artist was, but that would be in violation of the anonymity of the contest, so decided I would just have to wait. Well, just today, the first categories of contest winners were announced and the artist unveiled. I no sooner discover Heather that I rushed to her ME page on eBay and from there to her website where I was able to purchase a print of this adorable work - thank you heather! And yes, I bought another print as well, because there was a raven in front of the Eiffel Tower...more on that when the print arrives.

Happy Birthday Jay!

1 comment:

  1. I just love that story and the card is beautiful. Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete