Saturday, December 27, 2008

My First Steampunk ACEO

Steampunk...first of all, what an awesome word. And most every time I see something described by that word, I like it! Boy, was it a challenge to buy steampunk parts. Seems many people share my fascination for tiny watch parts, teeny gears, springs, faces, coils, pins...steampunk parts. Thankfully, I had the fortitude to persevere.

I envision grander things, but I started with something simple. A juxtapostion of tiny precision mechanical parts onto a folksy organic element...steampunk black eyed susans.


ACEO Steampunk Susans, Diane Weber, 3 1/2" x 2 1/2"

The flower petals are hand cut from hand-dyed fabric, set against a deep blue background. The leaves and stems are thread-painted in with free-motion stitching (which shows through on the back of the card). The centers of the black-eyed susans are embellished with vintage watch gears and tiny seed beads. The edges are enclosed with satin stitching.

No comments:

Post a Comment