Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Holiday Doors

I have a thing about doors. I take pictures of doors when we travel, especially doors in Europe. Our American doors are quite dull compared to a sturdy old Italian or French door with a giant brass, well-rubbed knob in the center (I wonder who decided to move doorknobs from the center to the side?? Must be an English thing??).
I was once somewhat chided for taking pictures of doors until we passed a shop featuring a calendar called "Doors of Tuscany".

Here are some of my favorite door shots taken over the years.

First, some imposing French and Italian doors...Florence, Lago di Como, Aix-en-Provence, Lourmarin...


Then, some colorful doors of London...


And some very "special" doors, Charles Dickens house in London, the door with the keyhole peeped through by Alice in Wonderland at Christchurch College in London, le Bateau Lavoir, the studio of Pablo Picasso in Montemarte Paris, and the apartment of Vincent and Theo Van Gogh in Montmarte Paris.


I am so thankful for having traveled to all these wonderful places to take these wonderful photos.
My artistic tribute to doors comes in the form of holiday door ACEOs.


Red Door #7, Red Door #8, Diane Weber, 2 1/2" x 3 1/2"

Yellow Door #9, Blue Door #10, Diane Weber, 2 1/2" x 3 1/2"

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad I found you. I love your pages. I noticed you had a lot of doors from Montmartre and hoped you might have taken some of my favorite, Maurice Utrillo. If you should find that you did, I would love for you to post here.

    I will be part of the 2009 ACEO playing card deck. I missed it last year but purchased a 2008 deck for myself. I so enjoyed it. Now that I am doing the latest one it was great to have that as a reference for what the ACEO might look like after put into the cards. I joined the group in 2005 and I can't believe we are still at it, or even the direction it has gone. You had a good idea!

    ReplyDelete