Saturday, November 29, 2008

Painting the Flowers of the Alps

In a bookstore in Chamonix...and not just any bookstore, but one of the most marvelous bookstores I have ever encountered. And I like pretty much all book stores, so that's saying a lot. What made this bookstore so special was how many locally relevant books and publications were gathered in one spot. They didn't try to be everyone's bookstore, they were the bookstore of Chamonix! I'll have to try to find the name of the store.

Anyway, one of the books I took away as a special souvenir of the area was "Peindre les fleurs des Alpes" (Painting the flowers of the Alps) by Suzanne Maeso. Having spent plenty of time admiring the wildflowers of the Alps, this book was particularly poignant.


Fast forward two months, and I finally found the opportunity today to try a few flowers from the book. You see it's time to send out my December Birthday Club cards, and every month this gives me the perfect excuse to practice a little painting.

The first one I had to try was the Edelweiss, probably the most famous alpine flower, and the most prominent symbol of Switzerland seen everywhere!



I was very pleased with the effect of the white flower on the green paper, so next I tried the oxalis.


And finally, a wild geranium.


I am pleased!

No comments:

Post a Comment