Thursday, October 2, 2008

What I learned from ACEOs today...

Making Artist Trading Cards, or ACEOs, is like exercise. You should do it every day, because it's good for you, it can make you stronger, and it fulfills the need to do something creative, however small.

Today I made a simple Matisse Blue Nude ACEO in fabric and thread. But this gave me some sketching practice, some observation practice, an opportunity for cutting, sewing, and finishing something.

I started this Artist Trading Card on scrap paper. I traced out my 2 1/2" x 3 1/2" rectangle, then I started sketching the figure inside the box. Once I had a figure I liked, I went over it with Sharpie marker to get continuous cut lines.

Fabric selection was relatively easy, a blue hand-dye. I applied my fusible of choice, Steam a Seam 2, to the back of the fabric, cut the figure out of paper to use as my pattern, laid it over the fabric and cut. Fused the figure to a white background, then stitched around it. I added a couple more little pieces of blue fabric to complete the figure, but for the lost part it is one piece of fabric.

ACEO Blue Nude in Fabric, Diane Weber, 2 1/2" x 3 1/2"


No comments:

Post a Comment