Monday, October 6, 2008

Mosaic Work in Progress

It's been a long time since I've had the opportunity to work on my mosaic projects, so I was thrilled to be able to carve out a little time this weekend. This next project was started before we left for Europe...I guess that was about 2 months ago now.
I have to add that I am an absolute beginner at mosaics, and have my eBay sellers to thank for all the beautiful tesserae and advice on how to use them.


So here we go...
My surface is this old TV table. I found a set of 4 of these on the sidewalk in my neighborhood with a FREE sign on them. The finish is worn away on most of them, but the wood is good and they're sturdy. So I started by cleaning them up, sanding, putting on a base coat, then some coats of white paint to make them pretty.
(Note the adorable fleur-de-lis tin in the background, also free!)


I created my design on paper, this time carefully drawing out the dimensions of the table on the paper. This is about iteration 4 or 5, but I like it.
Here is a picture with the flash blurring out the beautiful center focal ...


Here is another picture without the flash, one of my famous blurry mosaic pictures...

And one more pic to see some of the tiles up close. I just LOVE the fleur-de-lis china tiles, and the focal piece. Those are what I started with, then all the others were picked by the extremely helpful Linda from Linda's Mosaic Treasures.


Before starting to put the tiles on the table, I first gave it a good base coat of Weldbond glue and water (which also gave it a beautiful sheen). Note I have the center carefully marked out.


And this is as far as I got through 3 episodes of Heroes Season 2:
Stay tuned as I try to finish this table, learn from it, and make two more as Christmas gifts for some lucky recipients :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment