Tuesday, August 5, 2008

New Directions

I've been playing with my new tools.

Didn't know where I was going with this, but just let it happen.

This Small Format Art (SFA) piece began with black cotton broadcloth fabric. I did a textural rubbing with gold and silver Shiva oil paintstiks using a rubber rubbing plate. The red squares were also rubbed with gold paintstik. The oils have to cure for a week and be heat set. I then began a layering and composition with the red squares, additional text-printed red and cream fabrics, gold and copper fibers couched in place with metallic threads.

Then the entire piece was free-motion quilted with gold metallic thread in a variety of patterns to add organic form to the linear composition.

A gold cotton fabric backs the piece and wraps around to the front in a stitched binding.
My initials in the lower right corner complete the SFA quilt.

New Directions I, Diane Weber, 8" x 6"

No comments:

Post a Comment