Thursday, May 1, 2008

A Girl Named Sue

It's the first of the month and so time for the ACEO group's Theme Week contest. Each month participants create Artist Trading Cards based on a chosen theme. This month the theme is Fairy Tales.

My favorite fairy tale as a child was Little Red Riding Hood. I learned to read from that story. My mother read it to me so many times, at my request, that I memorized the story. So I was able to look at the book and recite the story, which helped me learn to read.

Having a quilting background, I decided to use a quintessential quilting image, Sunbonnet Sue. The faceless Sue hails from the early 1900s. Since then, she has been represented in every possible manner in applique quilts. The simplest image is the silhouette I have chosen.


Little Red Riding Sue, Diane Weber, 2 1/2" x 3 1/2"

Despite the tedious cutting of tiny pieces, I decided to make a couple more:

Little Red Riding Sue #2, Diane Weber, 2 1/2" x 3 1/2"

I couldn't resist making a typographical Sue. This one is "Read" all over!


Little "Read" Riding Sue, Diane Weber, 2 1/2" x 3 1/2"

No comments:

Post a Comment